What is autism?
Autism is a lifelong developmental disability which affects how people communicate and interact with the world. More than one in 100 people are on the autism spectrum and there are around 700,000 autistic adults and children in the UK.
Autism is a spectrum condition and affects people in different ways. Like all people, autistic people have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Useful information and resources
•National Autistic Society (https://autism.org.uk/). Information on all aspects of the condition, support, and masses of books and articles
•NAS Autism Helpline: 0808 800 4104 (Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm)
•NAS Parent-to-Parent: 0808 800 4106.
•Autism Research Centre (https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/)
•Resources for teens (https://teenage-resource.middletownautism.com/)
•Strategies for adults supporting young people with ASC (https://bestpractice.middletownautism.com/links-and-resources/videos/)
•Ambitious About Autism (https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/what-we-do)
•The Girl with the Curly Hair Project (https://thegirlwiththecurlyhair.co.uk/)
•SEND resources for families and schools (https://chatterpack.net/)
• ‘Copy and Paste’ – Hidden Asperger’s – Girls with Asperger’s (Niamh McCann) TED Talks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2ctCuTWPw)
• BBC – My Autism and Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpWWP1HNGQ)
• Tony Attwood – Aspergers in Girls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOHnt4PMFo)
• The Girl with the Curly Hair (https://thegirlwiththecurlyhair.co.uk/resources/animated-films/)
Books written for girls with ASC
Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorders; Sarah Hendrickx (2015)
• Odd Girl Out; Laura James (2018)
• Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World; Sy Montgomery (2012)
Books written by authors with ASC
• Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome; a User Guide to Adolescence; Luke Jackson (2002)
• Nobody Nowhere and Somebody Somewhere; Donna Williams (1998) • Pretending to be Normal, Living with Asperger’s Syndrome; Leanne H Willey (1999)
General books for parents/carers
Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on The Autistic Spectrum; Julia Moor (2008)
• I Can’t Do That: My Social Stories to Help with Communication, Self-Care and Personal Skills; John Ling (2010)
• Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome: The Facts; Simon Baron-Cohen (2008)
• Parent Survival Manual: A Guide to Crisis Resolution in Autism and Related Developmental Disorders; Eric Schopler (1995)